Buyers and Sellers:  WRITE IT DOWN!

The Canadian Meat Goat Association is incorporated under the Animal Pedigree Act, which is Federal Law. According to the Act, the seller of a registered animal must provide registration papers transferred into the new owner’s name within six months of the date of sale. This is the law and will be enforced by the RCMP.

Even if you are very good friends with the seller, get a receipt showing the date of purchase, name, registration number and tattoo of the animal you are purchasing, price, terms, etc. If it’s a kid with papers still to come, be sure to write the kid’s tattoo (exactly as it appears on the animal) and birth date on the receipt as well as the registration number of the dam and sire.

Although most breeders are very reputable, misunderstandings can occur. By having all of the terms of the sale in writing, both the buyer and the seller are protected and this benefits everyone.

If an animal is to be sold by agreement without papers, the seller should protect himself/herself against future claims by having the buyer sign a statement that he/she understands the papers will not be available for that animal.

If a buyer wishes to handle the transfer of the animal himself/herself, the seller must protect himself/herself by having the buyer sign a statement to that effect that the buyer assumes responsibility to submit the registration certificate and signed transfer form to the Canadian Livestock Records Corporation for processing.

Remember that an animal can only be sold as a purebred if it has original Canadian Meat Goat Association registration papers and the tattoo on the animal’s ears exactly matches the tattoos shown on the papers. If you are buying kids that don’t have papers yet, do not take them home if they are not tattooed and insist on getting a copy of the registration papers for the dam and papers or a breeding certificate for the sire. Be sure that the animal or dam of the animal you are purchasing is actually owned by the seller according to the papers. Only the registered owner can transfer the animal into your ownership.